Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The river has calmed down, although it still looks like chocolate milk. I half expected to see Oompa-Loompas at work on the banks. This heron has decided to keep one leg clear of the dirty water:


The pond is also a little murky ...

... but still beautiful:


There are lots of dragonflies around, including this beautiful blue one:

[A commenter has identified this as a male Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis). Tee hee, I bet it gets teased about its Latin name. Thank you, Anonymous!]

These guys are big!

(I love the internet, which helps me ID these things. That's a male whitetail dragonfly above. Oh, you're a boy dragonfly ...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first dragonfly looks like a male Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis).

Donwatcher said...

The second one is a white darter. See my post from last August:

http://donwatcher.blogspot.com/2005/08/common-whitetail.html