Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I was a little afraid of what I'd find at Beechwood this morning after another storm yesterday, but everything survived pretty well. The path we use when taking water to the newly planted trees got a little harder to negotiate:



It's another story at the top of Pottery Road hill, though. This area took a hit:



A mullein beginning to bloom:


I found a lot of these little green and black beetles on a cup plant. They were a bit camera shy. I think they're some kind of leaf beetle.


While trying to identify it I learned the identity of a bug I photographed several weeks ago. Turns out it's a ladybug larva! Huh. I should have taken it over to one of the maple leaf viburnums to let it eat up the viburnum leaf beetles.



I haven't figured out what this caterpillar is, but we have a lot of them. It's like a mourning cloak caterpillar, but ... not. Anybody recognize it?





3 comments:

Ontario Wanderer said...

Sorry to tell you, but you have lots of Gypsy Moth caterpillars. "five pairs of blue warts followed by six pairs of red warts" right?

Donwatcher said...

That's what I am guessing too. Wikipedia has a very similar picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_moth

Marnie said...

Thanks guys, you nailed it. Stay tuned for a post about this pest.