Friday, September 11, 2009

The pond's water level is dropping as the dry weather continues. I could easily cross to the Islet of Langerhans now, although I'd still want my spiffy boots in that mud:




There's still lots of raccoon activity around the pond:




Boneset (white) and Joe Pye weed (pink) pose with some goldenrod beside the pond:





I found this mass of roots beside the pond too. Not quite sure of the reason for it:





Remember the lovely blue flags?

This is what they do in the fall:




The offshore butter-and-eggs tried to spring up again without my noticing, but I'm not that easy to fool:


The wild grapes look just about ready. If I were more ambitious I'd try making jelly, but I guess I'll just leave them for the birds:


There's more boneset in the north half of the site. In fact, there's a very large patch, so if your bones need setting, drop me a line. Can you see the purple-flowering raspberry hanging in there at centre left?

A closer look at the boneset:

Some dog-strangling vine demonstrates its talent for climbing trees:

Here a seedpod has split open to free the fluffy seeds:

In general there's an air of winding down and the beginnings of decay. The flowers that are left are looking a bit worn:

More fluffy seeds ready to take to the air:

The damage from insects and blights can produce its own kind of beauty:

Spot the grasshopper hiding in this picture!

No comments: